Для того чтобы правильно выполнить контрольную работу № 1, необходимо усвоить следующие разделы грамматики английского языка.
МЕТОДИЧЕСКИЕ УКАЗАНИЯ И КОНТРОЛЬНЫЕ ЗАДАНИЯ
Т. Р. Панькина
Настоящие «Методические указания и контрольные задания по английскому языку для студентов факультета заочного обучения» содержат контрольные работы №1, №2 для I и II курса. На каждом курсе студент выполняет контрольные задания в соответствии с учебным планом НОУВПО РБИУ.
В данном пособии даны контрольные задания, а также тексты и тесты для самопроверки. Тексты контрольной работы могут быть использованы в качестве учебного текста для работы в аудитории, а также для внеаудиторного чтения.
Цель данных методических указаний – объяснить студентам техническую сторону выполнения контрольных работ и изложить некоторые общие рекомендации по изучению программного материала курса английского языка.
Изучение английского языка в условиях заочного обучения основано на самостоятельной работе студентов дома. Для правильной организации самостоятельного изучения языка студент должен руководствоваться теми рекомендациями преподавателя, которые он получает во время аудиторных занятий согласно учебному плану.
Прежде всего, вы должны уяснить техническую сторону выполнения контрольной работы, т.е. знать, как ее оформить, поскольку неправильное выполнение работы сведет весь ваш труд к нулю.
Следующий шаг в вашей работе – это изучение грамматических тем, которые указаны в контрольной работе, с помощью предлагаемой литературы.
ОФОРМЛЕНИЕ КОНТРОЛЬНЫХ РАБОТ
Каждая письменная контрольная работа выполняется в отдельной тетради. На обложке тетради напишите свою фамилию, группу и номер контрольной работы.
Контрольные работы должны выполняться аккуратно, четким почерком. При выполнении контрольной работы оставляйте в тетради широкие поля для замечаний, объяснений и методических указаний рецензента.
Контрольная работа должна выполняться в той последовательности, в которой она дана в настоящем пособии. Выполненные контрольные работы направляйте для проверки и рецензирования в институт в установленные сроки.
КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 1
Для того чтобы правильно выполнить контрольную работу № 1, необходимо усвоить следующие разделы грамматики английского языка.
1. Множественное число и притяжательный падеж имен существительных.
2. Степени сравнения имен прилагательных и наречия. Сравнительные конструкции.
3. Местоимения: личные, притяжательные, вопросительные, указательные,
неопределенные и другие.
4.Формы настоящего, прошедшего и будущего времени действительного залога. Спряжение глаголов to be, to have в Present, Past, Future Indefinite.
5. Модальные глаголы: can, must, may, should, could, need.
Рекомендуемые учебные пособия и ссылки:
1) Голицынский Ю. «Грамматика: сборник упражнений» - СПб, Каро, 2006
2) Murphy R. « English Grammar in Use» A self-study reference and practice book for elementary students of English. - Cambridge University Press, 1998 г.
3) Murphy R. « English Grammar in Use». A self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students of English. – Cambridge University Press, 1994г.
4) Бонк Н.А. и др. «Учебник английского языка». - М., Высшая школа, 1996.
Задание 1. Образуйте множественное число существительных:
woman, set, group, work, mouse, name, art, play, star, year, idea, sorrow, ray, culture,
doctor, man, teacher, counter, child, leaf, life, shelf, knife, wife.
Задание 2. Переведите следующие словосочетания па английский язык, употребляя притяжательный падеж:
письмо моего друга, рассказы этого писателя, библиотека института, дочь моей младшей сестры, стены этого старого дома, собака моего друга, игрушки детей.
Задание 3. Образуйте степени сравнения следующих прилагательных и наречий:
short, cold, bad, early, big, good, late, fast, small, old, nice, young, large, long, quick, easy, interesting, few, comfortable, progressive, efficient, clearly, beautiful, difficult, especially, wonderful, realistic, remarkable, much, dependent, far, important.
Задание 4. Употребите прилагательные и наречия, данные в скобках, в нужной степени сравнения:
1) My brother is much ... than myself. (young)
2) The opera theatre is one of ... buildings in the city. (beautiful)
3) The party was not so ... as I had expected. (funny)
4) What is the ... news? (late)
5) Yesterday I came home ... than usual. (late)
6) Ann sings ... than Nina. (good)
7) I like this picture ... of all. (good)
8) Greg felt __________ (bad) yesterday than the day before.
Задание 5. Употребите нужную форму личных местоимений:
1) I often see (they, them) in the bus.
2) She lives near (we, us).
3) (We, us) always walk to school together.
4) He teaches (we, us) English.
5) She sits near (I, me) during the lesson.
6) I always speak to (he, him) in English.
7) What is the matter with (he, him) today?
8) He explains the lesson to (we, us) each morning.
Задание 6. Употребите нужную форму притяжательных местоимений:
1) Would you like to see some of (her, hers) poems?
2) (Their, theirs) knowledge of the subject is not much superior to (our, ours).
3) You take care of (your, yours) things and I’ll take care of (my, mine).
4) All (our, ours) clothes were dirty, and (my, mine) especially so.
5) (Their, theirs) boat was faster than (our, ours).
6) I’m afraid they will take (your, yours) words against (her, hers).
7) (Their, theirs) home is pretty but (our, ours) is prettier.
Задание 7. Заполните пропуски местоимениями some или any. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. You will need ... warm clothes there.
2. I don’t have ... money with me.
3. Please, give me ... more coffee. – I’m sorry, but there isn’t … more coffee.
4. I’m sorry, but I didn’t have ... time to prepare my lessons last night.
5. It was in Greece that ancient civilization was highly developed.
6. I didn’t have ... stamps, so I went to the post-office to buy ...
7. Please, put ... water in that vase, the flowers are dying.
8. There are ... famous museums in that city but we didn’t have time to visit ...
9. The doctor gave me ... medicine for my cough.
10. There aren’t ... students in the room at the moment.
Задание 8. Заполните пропуски местоимениями much, many, little, few. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1) Very ... people know about it.
2) He is a man of ... words.
3) ... was said but ... done.
4) There isn’t ... harm in it.
5) He has very ...knowledge of the matter.
6) We have ... friends in Moscow.
7) There were very ... mistakes in his spelling.
8) Robert wrote so ... letters that he's never going to write a letter again.
9) She ate so ... ice cream that she's going to have a sore throat.
10) There is ... mayonnaise in Vera's kitchen. She has to go to the supermarket and buy some.
Задание 9. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Present Simple:
1) We (read) the newspaper in class every day.
2) He always (prepare) his homework carefully.
3) We always (play) tennis on Saturdays.
4) She (speak) several foreign languages.
5) The children (play) in the park every afternoon.
6) Helen (work) very hard.
7) They (take) a lot of trips together.
8) We always (travel) by car.
9) I (eat) lunch in the cafeteria every day.
10) We (walk) to the bus stop every morning.
Задание 10. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
Образец: John goes there twice a week.
Does John go there twice a week?
John doesn’t go there twice a week.
1) He knows French perfectly. 2) I understand everything he says. 3) She makes mistakes in spelling. 4) They enjoy their English lessons. 5) They live in Kiev. 6) We use our books in class. 7) The plane leaves at ten o’clock. 8) She always comes to class late.
Задание 11. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Past Simple:
1) We (work) in our garden all day yesterday.
2) The telephone (ring) twice but no one answered it.
3) He always (want) to learn English.
4) Ann and I (talk) over the telephone yesterday.
5) I (lose) my English book yesterday but (find) it later.
6) The meeting (last) about two hours.
7) I (wait) almost two hours for Helen yesterday.
8) She (study) in our class last semester.
9) We (watch) television until eleven o’clock last night.
10) Mr. and Mrs. Simpson (invite) all their friends and neighbors to a party last night.
Задание 12. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
Образец: Не prepared his lesson well.
Did he prepare his lesson well?
He didn’t prepare his lesson well.
1) They stayed in Moscow all summer. 2) She planned her work well. 3) The crowd waited a long time to see the famous actor. 4) He worked in that Institute for many years. 5) We arrived home late. 6) He entered this class in April. 7) Ann passed all her examinations. 8) The meeting lasted a long time
Задание 13. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Future Simple:
1) Helen (find) the book which you need.
2) They (see) us tomorrow.
3) He (finish) the work in April.
4) The shops (close) at noon today.
5) We (arrive) at three o’clock.
6) She (tell) you all about it.
7) You (spend) two months in the South.
8) The plant (die) because of lack of sunshine.
Задание 14. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах:
Образец: They will arrive at three o’clock.
Will they arrive at three o’clock?
They won’t arrive at three o’clock.
1) They will return in October. 2) These exercises will be easy for you. 3) He will be able to meet us later. 4) Our drama society will present a new play this year. 5) The lesson will be over at twelve o’clock. 6) There will be three new students in the class. 7) She will leave a message on the table for him. 8) They will write to us on Wednesday.
Задание 15. Употребите модальные глаголы can, may, must, could, should, can't, mustn't, needn't и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. … I take this book for a little?
2. I….. ski when I was young.
3. You … work more seriously.
4. He … answer the question. It’s not difficult.
5. You .... respect your parents.
6. My sister …. write this letter, she is very busy.
7. My sister …. write this letter. She’ll phone them.
8. You …. make notes in the books.
Задание 16. Письменно переведите 1, 2 и 3 абзацы текста. Выполните задание после текста.
Management has many definitions as there are managers. There are debates whether management is an art or a science and whether managers are born or made. From a sociological point of view management would seem to be mainly an art (for example how to motivate people to give of their bests), whereas from a quantitative point of view it appears to be far more scientific.
In practical business, management is the art and science of getting things done through other people, but it also includes effective use of your own time. To operate a successful business you need strong management skills. Effective management is the key to business success.
Management includes those personnel who have the right to make decisions that affect company’s affairs. Organization is the means by which management coordinates the efforts of employees to obtain the company’s objectives. As for organization, it involves structure which is a framework enabling management to delegate and control the responsibilities of individuals and departments. In this way, a company can function as a unit with the same efficiency as a business run by one person.
Once organizational structure has been established, areas (and sub areas) of activities, levels of authority and duties must be clearly defined. There are three management levels: top management, middle management, and operating management. Top management includes the president, vice president, and the general manager. Middle management includes department managers, plant managers, and production superintendents. Operating management includes supervisors, foremen, etc.
The most important responsibility of a manager at any level is decision making. (It is often said that decisions are the motor of business). Successful management is a matter of skill in choosing from alternatives.
Ответьте на следующие вопросы к тексту:
1. Is a management an art or a science?
2. What is the key to business success?
3. What is management?
4. What is the most important responsibility of a manager?
5. What manger would you like to be: a top manager, a middle manager, or an operating manager and why?
КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 2
Для правильного выполнения контрольной работы №2 необходимо усвоить следующие разделы грамматики английского языка:
1. Видовременные формы глагола:
а) активный залог (the Active Voice) для форм Continuous (Present, Past) и Perfect (Present, Past).
б) пассивный залог (the Passive Voice) для форм Indefinite (Present, Past, Future). Особенности перевода пассивного залога на русский язык.
2. Простые неличные формы глагола: Participle I (Present Participle), Participle II (Past Participle), Infinitive в функциях определения и обстоятельства.
3. Типы условных предложений (Conditional I, Conditional II).
Задание 1. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Present
Образец: Look! It (begin) to rain.
Look! It is beginning to rain.
They (wait) for us on the corner now.
They are waiting for us on the corner now.
1) I see that you (wear) your new suit today.
2) Listen! Someone (knock) at the door.
3) The bus (stop) for us now.
4) Please, be quiet! The baby (sleep).
5) The leaves (begin) to fall from the trees.
6) John (have) lunch in the cafeteria now.
7) Listen! I think the telephone (ring).
8) Ann seems to be very busy. I guess she (prepare) her English lesson.
Задание 2. Напишите следующие предложения в вопросительной и отрицательной формах Present Continuous:
Образец: They are working.
Are they working?
They aren’t working.
1) You are doing that exercise correctly.
2) He is looking for the book which he lost.
3) All the birds are flying south.
4) The sky is getting very dark.
5) They are laughing at what you said.
6) They are travelling in Europe at present.
7) Helen is taking dancing lessons at the country club.
8) Mr. Evans is writing a series of articles on the economic situation.
Задание 3. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Past Continuous:
1) When you telephoned, I (have) dinner.
2) The baby (sleep) soundly when I went to wake him.
3) She (talk) with Mr. Smith when I saw her in the hall.
4) The accident happened while they (travel) in the South.
5) When I got up this morning, the sun (shine) brightly.
6) At seven o’clock, when you telephoned, I (read) the newspaper.
7) Mary (play) the piano when I arrived.
8) Helen fell just as she (get) off the bus.
Задание 4. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Present Perfect:
1) I (speak) to him about it several times.
2) We (learn) many new words in this course.
3) He (make) that same mistake several times.
4) I (hear) that story before.
5) I am afraid that I (lose) my car keys.
6) She (see) this film three times.
7) I (tell) John what you said.
8) She (return) my book at last.
Задание 5. Употребите глаголы, данные в скобках, в форме Past Perfect:
1) I was sure that I (see) the man before.
2) I asked him why he (leave) the party so early.
3) It was clear that he (give) us the wrong address.
4) The teacher corrected the exercises which I (prepare).
5) He knew that he (make) a serious mistake.
6) She said she (look) everywhere for the book.
7) I felt that I (meet) the man somewhere before.
8) He wanted to know what (happen) to his briefcase.
Задание 6. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на употребление времен группы Perfect:
1) Не has told her all about his travel.
2) I have never been to St. Petersburg.
3) Have you finished your homework?
4) They have been friends for years.
5) She told us that she had not finished her report yet.
6) He has been the best student in the class.
7) She said she had had her lunch.
8) They have been absent from class all week.
Задание 7. Замените в следующих предложениях действительный залог страдательным. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
Образец: They developed a new method of teaching.
A new method of teaching was developed by them. –
Новый метод обучения был разработан ими.
1) The audience enjoyed the concert very much.
2) The little boy ate the cake.
3) The teacher corrects our exercises at home.
4) They started a dancing class last week.
5) Everybody will see this film soon.
6) The teacher returned our written work to us.
7) Mr. Smith will leave the tickets at the box-office.
8) The students translate texts during the lessons.
Задание 8. Замените в следующих предложениях страдательный залог действительным. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
Образец: This letter was written by John.
John wrote this letter.
Джон написал это письмо.
1) The entire city was destroyed by the fire.
2) The lecture was attended by many people.
3) The book will be published in spring.
4) The class is taught by Mr. Smith.
5) It was designed by a French engineer.
6) This book is always read by the students of the first course.
7) The letter was left on the table.
8) The house was struck by lightning.
Задание 9. Найдите в предложениях формы Participle I и Participle II. Переведите на русский язык:
1. A smiling girl. 2. A swimming man. 3. The men building our house with me are my friends. 4. Translating the article he consulted the dictionary. 5. My sister likes boiled eggs. 6. We stopped before a shut door. 7. Tied to the tree, the goat could not run away. 8. They saw overturned tables and chairs and pieces of broken glass all over the room. 9. This is a church built many years ago. 10. The books written by Dickens give us a realistic picture of the 19th century England.
Задание 10. Выберите из скобок требующуюся форму причастия:
1. The girl (writing, written) on the blackboard is our best pupil.
2. The house (surrounding, surrounded) by tall trees is very beautiful.
3. Who is that boy (doing, done) his homework at that table?
4. The floor (washing, washed) by Helen looked very clean.
5. We listened to the girls (singing, sung) Russian folk songs.
6. Do you know the girl (playing, played) in the garden?
7. The book (writing, written) by this scientist is very interesting.
8. Translate the words (writing, written) on the blackboard.
9. We could not see the sun (covering, covered) by dark clouds.
10. The (losing, lost) book was found at last.
11 (Going, gone) along the street, I met Mary and Ann.
12. Read the (translating, translated) sentences once more.
13. Name some places (visiting, visited) by you last year.
14. I picked up the pencil (lying, lain) on the floor.
15. She was reading the book (buying, bought) the day before.
Задание 11. Раскрывая скобки, напишите каждое предложение два раза, образуя условные предложения 1и 2 типов.
If I (to see)her, I (to be)glad.
If I see her, I shall beglad.
If I sawher, I should beglad.
1. If you (to be) busy, I (to leave) you alone.
2. If my friend (to come) to see me, I (to be) very glad.
3. If mother (to buy) a cake, we (to have) a very nice tea party.
4. If we (to receive) a telegram from him, we (not to worry).
5. If you (not to work) systematically, you (to fail) the exam.
6. If I to live in Moscow, I (to visit) the Tretyakov Art Gallery every year.
7. If I (to get) a ticket, I (to go) to the Philharmonic.
8. If I (to live) near a wood, I (to gather) a lot of mushrooms.
Задание 12. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующейся форме.
1. If he were not such an outstanding actor, he (not to have) so many admirers.
2. If you (to give) me your address, I shall write you a letter.
3. If she (not to be) so absent-minded, she would be much better student.
4. If my sister does not go to the south, we (to spend) the summer in Saint Petersburg together.
5. If you (not to get) tickets for the Philharmonic, we shall stay at home.
6. If you were not so careless about your health, you (to consult) the doctor.
7. I should be delighted if I (to have) such a beautiful fur coat.
8. If it (to rain), we shall have to stay at home.
9. If it is not too cold, I (not to put) on my coat.
10. If he (not to read) so much, he would not be so clever.
Задание 13. Переведите предложения на русский язык и определите время в выделенных глагольных формах (Present Simple, Present Continuous, Present Perfect, Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect, Future Simple).
1. I didn’t playtennis last week.
2. He helpshis father very often.
3. We are not drinkingcoffee now.
4. He was playingthe piano from 5 till 8 yesterday.
5. By 9 o’clock she had washedthe dishes.
6. They havealready arrived.
7. Next week I will be25.
8. My friend was in Japan last summer.
Задание 14. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в нужном времени (Present Simple, Present Continuous, Present Perfect, Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect, Future Simple).
1. When my father (to come) home yesterday, I (to have) dinner.
2. I (never/ be) to the USA.
3. My sister (to write) an essay now.
4. You (to go) to school on Sundays?
5. We (not to dance) every day.
6. I (to go) to bed at ten o'clock tomorrow.
7. He (not to go) to the cinema tomorrow.
8. You (to watch) TV yesterday?
9. By 8 o’clock the rain (to stop).
10. Alice was late because she (to miss) the bus.
11. What you (to do) now? — I (to wash) the dishes.
12. He (to work) at the factory before he entered the college.
13. Oh, no! I (lose) my money!
14. What you (to do) at three o'clock yesterday? — I (to have) dinner.
15. Brad (live) in Chicago since 1998.
Задание 15. Письменно переведите 1, 2 и 3 абзацы текста. Выполните задание после текста.
Businesses need to advertise. If they didn’t advertise no one would even learn of the
existence of their wares. In part, advertising is aimed at conveying information to potential customers and clients, but it is also used to persuade public to buy. This is the area in which advertising is often criticized. Advertisements are sometimes misleading. Although it is illegal for advertisers to make untrue statements about their goods, services or prices, they still make their wares seen unduly attractive. They pander to our egos and our vanities. They create a demand which would not otherwise exist. It is easy to say, “I’m not influenced by the adverts!” Everyone is influenced to a certain extent.
There was recently some research on subliminal advertising. The word “coffee” was flashed on to the television screen. It happened so quickly that no one was aware it had happened. For just a fraction of a second it registered on the viewers’ subconscious. The result? A surprising number of people chose to make coffee at that precise moment. Of course, it could have been a coincidence but it was highly unlikely.
Yet, for the typical manufacturer advertising is a form of insurance. The nature and
extent of consumer’s needs have to be constantly assessed. If the needs are overestimated it is possible, through advertising, to soak up the surplus goods which have been produced. As a demand for a product sags, it can be stimulated. There are all sorts of useful byproducts. Without the possibility of advertising, workforces would have to be laid off when sales fell. The warehouses would become overfilled and stocks would deteriorate, perhaps even becoming obsolete.
Advertising goes far beyond television and hoardings, newspapers and magazines. The manager of a clothes store is advertising by putting models wearing the store’s clothes in the window. A bicycle manufacturer is advertising when he sends a new price-list through the post to his retailers. How could trading be carried on without such devices?
Some would even go so far as to say that advertising actually enriches our lives.
Commercial television is able to provide us with free programs thanks to its advertising
revenues. National newspapers drive much of their revenue from advertising. Look at a
typical newspaper and you will discover the proportion of the pages devoted to
advertisements. We also have advertisers to thank for the free color supplements
accompanying the Sunday newspapers.
Ответьте на следующие вопросы к тексту:
1. What is meant by informative advertising?
2. Why is persuasive advertising criticized?
3. What is subliminal advertising?
4. What should be done to counter a fall in sales?
5. How does advertising help the workforce?