I. Перепишите и письменно переведите выделенный абзац текста.
IDENTIFICATION IN POLICE INVESTIGATION
Identity in Different Types of Crimes
Identity (Who) in Burglary
The search for the identity of the burglar should begin at the very outset of an investigation. Once the investigation has established the corpus delicti of burglary, the investigation should be centered on the identity and apprehension of the burglar. Identity of the burglar is known to be established in many ways. Many burglars are seen by people inside the place and are apprehended and identified by their description of them. Sometimes witnesses may see the burglar move, but not realize that the burglary has been committed until later. Eye-witnesses may identify such suspects, describe a known burglar, or someone who was acting suspiciously near the place. An investigation of known burglars may reveal that this person was in the vicinity. Examination of the modus operandi may reveal evidence of similar characteristics in a known burglar’s handiwork (работа, рукоделие).
Stolen goods may be found, traced to the burglar and his identity established. A suspect may be away from his usual place at the time the burglary was committed. Stool pigeons (осведомитель) are often invaluable in revealing the identity of burglars. The fact that a person supports himself or spends money freely without visible means of support may reveal identity. Fingerprints, footprints, tool marking and other physical evidence are certain to establish leads (руководство/указание) to identity.
Flight (бегство) or absence of a certain person during an investigation may give leads to clues to his identity.
All these characteristics and many others are expected to be the means which first point to a certain person as suspected, and, later, identify the burglar. Identity proves to be the best established when there are confessions, admissions, or identifications by eye-witnesses. If the evidence allows presumption of guilt the case is ready for prosecution and arrest.
II. Выпишите из текста 3 предложения с модальными глаголами, дайте их перевод.
III. Выпишите из текста комплексы с инфинитивом (Complex Subject and Complex Object). Предложения переведите.
IV. Выпишите из текста предложения с глаголами в страдательном залоге, укажите видо-временную форму глагола. Предложения переведите.
V. Переведите следующие предложения. Подчеркните герундий.
1. There are different methods of prosecuting offenders.
Существуют различные методы преследования правонарушителей.
2. I remember of his having already been questioned before the trial..
Я помню, что его уже допрашивали перед судебным разбирательством.
1. A British police officer is to subject to the law and may be sued or prosecuted for any wrongful act, committed in carrying out duties.
2. He was fined for being drunk in charge of a car.
3. You should be ashamed of yourself for behaving so badly.
4. It’s no good arguing.
5. Police may issue cautions, and in Scotland the procurator fiscal may warn, instead of prosecuting.
VI. Переведите предложения, подчеркните конструкции с инфинитивом, укажите вид конструкций.
She is said to be a good student.(сложное подлежащее).
Говорят, что она хорошая студентка.
1. A local authority prefers the child to remain at home under supervision or place him or her with foster parents or in a community home.
2. We all knew him to be a very experienced barrister.
3. He is certain to be present today.
4. The young offender is said to have been brought to court.
5. I saw him cross the street.
6. The court is unlikely to give a different sentence.
VII. Переведите на русский язык, подчеркните конструкции с причастием.
The problem being discussed at the conference must be solved.
Проблема, обсуждаемая (которая обсуждается) на конференции, должна быть решена.
The student knowing English well, the examination did not last long.
Так как слушатель хорошо знал английский, экзамен продолжался недолго.
1. I heard the witness giving evidence at the trial.
2. There being a wish of accused to plead ”not guilty ” the prosecutor presents the case against him, calling witnesses as desired.
VIII. Переведите предложения на русский язык, подчеркните придаточные предложения, укажите их вид.
When I see him tomorrow I will invite him to our party (придаточное времени)
Когда я завтра увижу его, я приглашу его на нашу вечеринку.
1. Please don’t touch anything before the police come.
2. You won’t be able to fight crime well if you are not a highly qualified specialist.
3. Does he know when they will go to the crime scene?
4. If we go by bus it will be cheaper.
IX. Переведите следующие словосочетания на русский язык, подчеркните причастие, укажите его форму.
She had heard very little being absorbed in her own reflections
Она услышала очень мало, так как была поглощена своими размышлениями.
1. the work finished last week was…; 2. the case solved by the investigator; 3.taken fingerprints; 4. when asked he …; 5. officers dealing with criminals; 6.establishing factor; 7. if properly used the evidence can…; 8. Although transmitted over a long distance, the signal was… .
X. Измените данные предложения, употребив пассивный залог, подчеркните сказуемое. Переведите на русский язык.
The students saw this English film.
Студенты видели этот фильм.
This English film was seen by the students.
Этот английский фильм был посмотрен студентами.
1. My friend has written this report.
2. The students attend lectures and tutorials with interest.
3. You have done this investigation successfully.
4. He is working at his English.
5. Did Jury Dolgoruky found Moscow in 1147?
I. Перепишите и письменно переведите выделенный абзац текста.
IDENTITY IN ROBBERY
The main purpose of investigation of robbery is considered to find means by which the robber can be identified. The corpus delicti is usually easily proved by the evidence obtained from the victim.
Identity in some cases is likely to be made by the victim or other witnesses who recognized the robber by some identifying characteristics in his face or body, speech, clothing, mannerisms, license plates, etc. Witness may appear to identify his picture from others in identification bureaus. The description of the robber may correspond to some person in the vicinity (окрестности, соседство) and be identified that way. Sometimes identity may be learned through fingerprints, footprints, fibers or other physical evidence that will reveal a suspect. Ownership or possession of weapons can also be identified. Identity is also sometimes established by confession. Once the identity of the robber is known the next step is to apprehend him unless he is already taken. If taken and identified, the case is ready for prosecution.
Identity in Crimes of Malice (преступное намерение ), Assault (нападение)
Assaults are known to arise impulsively in many cases between people who are acquainted and in close proximity (близость) to each other. Usually in each case there are other witnesses to the assault, and identification of the assailant (противник, нападающая сторона) is easy. However, if only a description is available, quite possibly the assailant may be a nearby resident. Assault may appear to have been part of other crimes.
At any rate, the important problem then is to learn the identity of the assailant. The methods of determining a suspect are similar to those used in robbery. A description of the assailant should be secured, the victim should visit the rogues gallery (галерея преступников) and inspect the photographs of criminals, a search may be made in the vicinity and so on.